Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Pangbournian Stories > Remembering fallen OPs 80 years on.

Remembering fallen OPs 80 years on.

OP Chairman Phillip Plato has made a moving pilgrimage to Normandy on the 80th Anniversary of D Day
The grave of OP A C Martin
The grave of OP A C Martin

Phillip writes:

From June 13-16, 2024, I embarked on a deeply meaningful motorcycle tour through Normandy, marking the 80th anniversary of D-Day. This tour, long a personal ambition, was enriched by Eugenie Brooks, an independent battlefield guide, whose research added significant personal meaning to the journey. This trip honoured all Old Pangbournians (OPs) involved in the D-Day landings of 1944, particularly Major Anthony Charles Wellesley Martin DSO and Major Lionel George Charlton who both gave their lives in the initial days of Operation Overlord.

Day 1: Thursday 13 June
We began with an early ferry from Poole to Cherbourg and visited the US 82nd Airborne Memorial and Dead Man’s Corner Museum. Despite the rain, our group of 11 motorcyclists arrived in Bayeux, where we found unexpected connections with fellow Pangbournians within our group.

Day 2: Friday 14 June
The itinerary for the day included Pegasus Bridge and the strategically important Merville Battery that could shell both Sword & Juno beaches and where Major Edward Charlton (OP 1926-31) fell whilst leading the attack on this key German fortification. Eugenie recited what Major Charlton did that day and we later visited his grave at Ranville War Cemetery, the first British cemetery created after D-Day, where I laid a remembrance cross on behalf of the OP Society. The day concluded at the British Normandy Memorial overlooking Gold Beach, with a striking display of black silhouettes known as “Standing with Giants” representing all those British troops who died on D-Day.

Day 3: Saturday 15 June
Today, our group explored the town of Arromanches located to the west of Gold Beach where the ingenuitive Mulberry Harbour was created that ensured the allied forces were supplied to support the invasion.  Later we all rode on to the lovely rural setting of Ryes Cemetery, where Major Charles Martin (OP 1930-34) is buried who was killed by a sniper leading his company across Gold Beach. I laid a wreath at his grave where our group performed an Act of Remembrance that was all the more poignant for me given we were honouring a Pangbournian. We then rode on to visit Omaha Beach and the US Normandy Cemetery, witnessing an impromptu American tribute by visiting veterans and families that was extremely moving to observe. Omaha Beach is clearly hallowed ground for Americans.

Day 4: Sunday 16 June
Our final day included visits to the German Cemetery near La Cambe, the Easy Company Memorial at Brecourt Manor, and the village of St Mere-Eglise where Eugenia again explained what happened her in 1944. We concluded our tour in Cherbourg to catch the ferry home, reflecting on the journey and the sacrifices that had been made 80 years ago.

This tour was more than a commemoration; it was a journey of learning, reflection, and respect for the past. It was an honour to pay tribute to the OPs who fell during Operation Overlord and personally was one of the most fulfilling trips I have ever undertaken. This journey reaffirmed our commitment to remembering those who sacrificed for our freedoms. The Old Pangbournian Society remains dedicated to preserving these memories. 

I hope to organise a similar trip next year for OPs using coaches or minibuses rather than motorbikes and invite anyone interested in coming on such a proposed trip to contact me or Sue Carpenter so I can gauge the level of interest and plan accordingly..

Photo gallery

To view this News Article

Similar stories

Major (Acting) Charles Martin

On 6th June 1944 the largest amphibious invasion in the history of warfare took place. Many OPs played their part, here we commemorate them and highlight some of their stories. More...

Ivar with fellow veterans

OP Ivar Hellberg (1955 - 1960) has made a poignant return to the Falkland Islands to dedicate a new memorial to the Comm… More...

Salt Horse

Ewen Southby-Tailyour reviews Salt Horse, the memoir of a maverick Admiral Claude Lionel Cumberledge, edited by Robin K… More...

The Gurkha Curry Lunch

On Friday 25th April OPs attended a very successful lunch, organised by Robin Paine (1955 - 1958) at the Gurkha Museum, … More...

The OP Society Dinner 2024

On Saturday 20th April over 100 OPs gathered tor a weekend of celebration and catching up with friends. More...

Most read

Major (Acting) Charles Martin

On 6th June 1944 the largest amphibious invasion in the history of warfare took place. Many OPs played their part, here we commemorate them and highl… More...

The OP Society Dinner 2024

On Saturday 20th April over 100 OPs gathered tor a weekend of celebration and catching up with friends. More...

OPs on parade

OPs gave a very special salute to the Head, Thomas Garnier, during the OP Celebration Weekend More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech