Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Announcements > Obituaries > In Memoriam: Peter Politzer (CR 64-96)

In Memoriam: Peter Politzer (CR 64-96)

You are warmly welcomed to leave a message below, share your memories, and celebrate the life of Peter Politzer (CR64-96), who we sadly lost in 2022.
1 Feb 2022
Written by Robin Knight
Obituaries

PETER POLITZER (1936-2022)

Peter Politzer died on 18th January 2022, aged 85. He joined the staff of the Nautical College, Pangbourne in 1964, taught History at the school for 97 terms, was Housemaster of Illawarra for 15 years, Second Master 1984-94 and 1st VIII coach and mentor to generations of Pangbournian rowers. He left a widow Karin and two children, Martin and Matt.

A memorial service will be held in the Falkland Islands Memorial Chapel at the College at 3:00pm on Tuesday 29th March.

Martin Politzer (75-82) writes: “My father was born in 1936 and educated at Blundell’s School in Devon and at Trinity Hall, Cambridge where he first rowed. After leaving Cambridge, he taught at Milton Abbey in Dorset before answering an advertisement from Pangbourne for a History teacher. Apparently, he was the only applicant for the job so he got it! He was particularly attracted by the fact that the NCP was a rowing school and that's really how his coaching career began.

Coaching at Pangbourne introduced him to other youth rowing coaches and he became very involved in the National Schools' Regatta which at that time was held on the river at Pangbourne. After retirement, he continued with the NSR as Chairman until 2006, taking the regatta to three days and introducing many more events for girls. He also coached at Reading Rowing Club and was Chairman of the Reading branch of the Alzheimer's Society. Once freezing in a launch stopped being a sensible option, he sustained his competitive spirit with bridge and watched sports on TV avidly.”

On Peter’s retirement in 1996, his colleague Reverend John Spriggs summed up his contribution in these words: “Peter soon made his mark as Housemaster of Illawarra where his policy was that the Division would not come last in anything. In the classroom, failing at History was not an option for a generation of Pangbournians. He was an able and dynamic teacher before moving on to become (in 1984) Second Master, a post he made singularly his own – a pillar of the community especially in the prodigious amount of organisation associated with changes of headmaster. Latterly, his undiminished energy (was) channelled into marketing and recruiting for the College at a time when the competition was ever fiercer and the need for his tenacious skills never greater. 

His boundless energy, and an apparently aggressive exterior, masked a truly compassionate nature though this may not always have been understood. He did his very best for his charges and made them want the best for themselves. In the process he set an example of dedicated work to such an extent that he once became irritated at having to take time off for a kidney operation. 

His administrative grasp was matched by an impressive skill at rowing. Having taken up the sport at Cambridge, Peter settled into a career of coaching that saw success not only with the 1st VIII but also with the British junior rowing team where he set up the selection process and became a wise father-figure. He also served on the National Schools Regatta Committee, was chairman of the Junior Rowing Commission and for many years was race secretary of the Pangbourne Sculls event.”

Tributes poured in after Peter’s death. Gerry Pike (CR 86-19) wrote: “Peter was a remarkable man who made an enormous contribution to Pangbourne over a long period of time. He left a lasting imprint on those he mentored and inspired, not only by the sheer force of his considerable personality but because he brought a manifest integrity and a rare capacity to motivate to all that he did. 

Peter’s professional persona was formidable: as Second Master he made Pangbourne run on time. This was not simply a matter of enforcing a daily routine efficiently but, more profoundly, because his meticulous engagement set exacting standards and required total commitment from colleagues and students alike. His energy seemed indefatigable as he whirled between administration, house-mastering, teaching, coaching and tutoring, always in the same galvanizing style. In this respect he was a force of nature. He could be famously brusque when he was dissatisfied: his peppery red notes to errant staff became the stuff of legend, but he was always quick to recognize the potential in others and he gave his life to nurturing them. Those students fortunate enough to be personally tutored by him often emerged from their weekly sessions in his little office ashen-faced but set firmly on the path to improvement. 

Underneath this robust, meticulous style, typical of much of the best school-mastering in its day, lay deep pastoral instincts, sensitivity, warmth and wisdom. If he expected a lot of you, he gave everything in return. As you got closer, a mischievous sense of humour became apparent, and you could often glimpse the twinkle in his eye when delivering a ritual broadside. Pangbourne’s massive academic progress in the 1980’s owed so much to Peter’s essential philosophy that we should get every student to aspire and apply themselves diligently to be the very best that they could in every field. 

The flowering of previously unpromising individuals that this emphasis on motivation frequently produced came to infuse the very ethos of the College and has been its touchstone ever since. Its impact was exemplified in the achievement of record A-Level results in the early 1980’s and its benchmark entry into HMC. It was also reflected in the rising standard of College sport; this was truly the age when Pangbourne became accustomed to “punching above its weight” as Peter’s natural competitiveness helped to raise the bar. He and Peter Points enjoyed a ready rapport, and together they provided an inspirational and irresistible leadership team with Politzer’s penchant for structure and clarity complementing the charismatic and expansive intellect of Points. 

It was Peter’s style always to lead by example.  In the classroom there was no escape from his high expectations. In his delivery he honed an essentially didactic approach which gave students the platform of a secure knowledge. He almost never resorted to notes but mastered a compelling extempore style. His scholarly command of the complexities of the Third Reich became legendary among students, as did his forensic marking. As a result, many diffident Pangbournians learned the craft of study and were fired to be questioning and ambitious academically. 

Like the best teachers, he was also a lifelong and enthusiastic learner. Peter loved mastering a new field, whether in History or some other discipline so that he could share it with students. He took up architecture in this spirit as his contribution to Sixth Form General Studies, as well as archery as a minor sport. After his stint as Second Master he developed a key role in the nascent Marketing Department and there was no more passionate advocate of the virtues of the College to the outside world. 

Socially, he was great fun. He and Karin entertained expansively at home, no matter what the workload, as he valued getting to know colleagues well. He was always generous, considerate and appreciative in this setting and one sensed that his often-stern professional face was something of a carapace, shielding the kindly, convivial man within. Somehow, he and Karin found the time to bring up a family too and their love for their children was unconditional. 

For many of us who worked closely with Peter, he came to embody the values and standards that set Pangbourne apart, perhaps most of all in his patient, persistent nurturing of the individual which helped to change Pangbourne decisively for the better.”

David Rendle (73-78, CR 91-12) wrote: “I first met Peter in 1971 when I joined the College in the Junior School. He came across as quite an intimidating presence in the classroom, but I did so enjoy his lessons. As my rowing coach from Junior Colts through to the First VIII, Peter's competitive nature attuned with my own will to win and I benefitted greatly from his no-nonsense approach to hard training. One memory stands out from this time. I recall arriving at the National Schools Regatta in 1976 with a very sore large blister on the sole of my foot. No problem, Peter administered none too gentle and quite unsympathetic treatment with a needle and all was well for the rowing. 

I will always be grateful to Peter for putting me in touch with the rowing coach at Durham University where I spent three happy years and Peter was always on hand to host our pre-Henley training camps on the wonderful water at Pangbourne. Many years later, at a point when I was considering my next steps having retired from competitive rowing, Peter collared me on the towpath and insisted that I come and meet the then-new Headmaster at the College, Anthony Hudson with a view to filling a Geography teaching vacancy and coaching the First VIII. And so, it was arranged. The 1992 Henley win was in large part built upon the Politzer legacy as I inherited some 'hardened warriors' from his 1991 crew and Peter was always on hand to offer the greenhorn coach his advice! For me, Peter will be remembered as a titan of Pangbourne rowing and as a formidably good history teacher.”

From Paul Masters (CR 72-84): “Peter was in some ways the most energetic and driven man I have ever known. Yet he could vary from being a good listener to being the most infuriating and over-bearing of men in the time it takes to draw breath!”  

From Rob Hamilton (60-65): “Peter Politzer joined the Nautical College the term after we had won the Princess Elizabeth Cup at Henley Royal Regatta in 1963. We came to know him and Karin much better when both our boys, Mark and Richard, were at the College and he taught both of them in the classroom and on the river. A strong character who was ready to challenge one’s views and thinking, a very able teacher, and a rowing coach who helped Pangbourne become one of the leading rowing schools in the country and a source of national, international and Olympic oarsmen. I am in no doubt that in the same way that the rowing coaches who taught me left a lasting impression on me so Peter left a lasting impression on several generations of OPs, oarsmen and women who enjoyed the benefits of his teaching and coaching.”

Richard Hamilton (87-92) added: “There is always that one person in one’s life who has such an impact that it changes the course of your life forever. That person for me was Peter Politzer. In 1989, he sat me down and said I’m sending you to the Junior Rowing Trials. As we approached Peterborough in his car, still having no clue what I was going to, I asked him ‘What do I do?’ His answer was straight forward: “Keep pulling hard until someone tells you to stop.” I did just that, and ended up rowing in the Olympic Games in 1996. 

I very much doubt you will see the likes of Peter again. He was my tutor, teacher, friend and with his unwavering belief in me and his passion for rowing and life, was insurmountable. He not only changed my direction, but instilled in me the belief that any challenge was achievable. His timed runs from the boat house back up to the parade ground, the old catamaran launches when he would wash down every other boat on the river often, causing expletives to be hurled our way as we rowed past trying to beat him in the launch, are a few of the memories that made my time with him at Pangbourne such a great period of my life.” 

From Phillip Plato (70-77), Chairman of the OP Society: “As Captain of Boats in 1977, I had considerable interaction with Peter regarding rowing, both as a coach and the administration of the Boat Club.  Although I did not appreciate it at the time, I learned later what an influence he had on the sport nationally. He was awarded the Amateur Rowing Association (now British Rowing) Gold Medal of honour for services to the sport. He was a strong man with strong opinions and had a profound influence on me and numerous other students at the College, not only as a rowing coach but also as Housemaster and History tutor.”

From Patrick Derham (73-78), now a Governor at the College: “The news about PRP was shattering: a man who was like a father to me, and who helped set me on the right path.  Meeting Peter for the first time in October 1974 was one of those lightbulb moments, and the kindnesses that he and Karin showed to me is something I shall be grateful for forever. As a Housemaster, a History teacher and after leaving Pangbourne as a friend, his wise counsel and unwavering support and encouragement shaped me. Without Peter, I know I would not have had the career I have had. A real Pangbourne titan who touched the lives of so many. Those of us lucky enough to have been under the care of PRP will never forget him.”  

From Dan Brunton (87-92): “PRP taught me history at A-level. I remember him as quite a stern Second Master, sometimes with a short fuse if people were messing around – yet in class, he could often have us in fits of laughter, with a mischievous smile and a knowing eye. The fact he could guide a typical Pangbourne ‘student’ of the 1980s/1990s through Mein Kampf successfully truly shows how strong a teacher he was.”

In 2021 the winning 1971 Henley 1st VIII reminisced about their triumph 50 years earlier and about Peter’s contribution – the year he achieved “his two dearest wishes – to bring the PE Cup back to Pangbourne, and to produce the College’s first youth internationals.”

Among the crew’s memories of Peter, two stood out: 

Stroke Duncan Innes (66-71) wrote: “I’m not sure Peter has really received the recognition for what he did that year. I’m pretty sure it was the first year he went completely alone (as coach) and took complete charge of the 1st VIII. I can only imagine just how much energy that required on top of being Illawarra Housemaster and teaching. Winning that day gave me a massive amount of confidence and opened doors in the rowing world that I would never have gone through without it. His skilful guidance and perseverance over that incredible year has continued to have an impact on our lives.”

Echoed Peter Gavin (68-72): “My favourite memory of Peter…He would crouch forward on the boat platform as though he was about to dive into the water. His arms back, imaginary blades, hands cupped ready to chop into the virtual water. “There boys, lock on.”  I still see that image every time I stir a basin of water with my hand. I actually find myself saying “There boys, lock on!” Then Peter would swoop through, straightening his legs, urging “Poling away the finishes.” One non-rowing comment I’d also like to make: Peter gave me a lifelong love of history which is the most you can ask of a teacher. So, thank you Peter for that, and thank you for putting me in the eight and giving me the defining sporting experience of my life.’” 

Later, Peter Gavin added: “Peter Politzer was the only master at Pangbourne I ever thought about after my school days – and with great fondness. He brought some structure and a great deal of joy to my school career. To this day I am still fit because of the 1st VIII training regime. It instilled in me a discipline that has never left me. I still I hear him saying “mind over matter” as I am gasping for breath cycling up a Devon hill. He had a significant effect on my life. So, RIP old friend and, wherever you are, keep on polling those finishes away.”

Ian Busby (CR72-96), Peter’s teaching colleague and close friend for many years, summed up: “Arriving in 1972, I quickly became aware of the importance of Peter’s role. As senior Housemaster, he was clearly Peter Points’ right-hand man. What struck me was Pol’s integrity, dedication, practicality, loyalty and identification with PDCP’s vision and aspirations, combined with a restraining caution as he helped steady the Headmaster’s plans. 

In 1984 Pol completed his 15-year stint as a Housemaster of Illawarra and became Second Master. I took over; I suspected a Politzer nudge. I accepted, with some trepidation, knowing how respected was Pol’s dedication and commitment and what a hard act to follow him would be. His tight discipline, and the feeling he generated that Illawarra, away from the main College campus, was somehow special – “Illawarrans never come second” was his mantra – left behind a competitive, responsible, caring ethos for me. We always got on well – all the more remarkable when it is recalled that he and the family continued to live in the Housemaster’s house adjoining Illawarra. I felt there was a mutual respect and trust, and that we shared many common values.

What else? Pol’s caring ethos was so well reflected in his successes as a rowing coach. His knowledge of wine was formidable. He sang in the College choir for a time under Ralph Allwood, in Britten’s St. Nicholas. He cavorted on stage under the appreciative eye of students and staff. His final triumph was our last ‘Music for a Summer Evening’ in 1996. He and I, in full and generously-cut Wren’s dresses, led in by a section of the Marching Band, entertained an enraptured, hysterical audience with a selection of suitably-reworded sea shanties. The whole thing was Peter’s idea for our joint farewell and salute to the College and what it had meant to us. 

Out of term time, the home or away Politzer/Busby Bridge evenings, and the Politzers’ wonderful New Year’s Eve parties and games, bore witness to his generosity even as ill health dogged his final years.  In retirement, and after the Politizers’ temporary retreat to Chester, it was good to see Karin and Peter back in Reading. I can only say that I owed a lot to Peter’s continued friendship, being there for each other through some tough times.” 

Similar stories

Michael Winter

You are warmly welcomed to leave a message below, share your memories and celebrate the life of Michael Ernest Winter (55 - 59) who we sadly lost in 2024. More...

David Herbert

You are warmly welcomed to leave a message below, share your memories and celebrate the life of David Herbert (Former Go… More...

Ian Wood

You are warmly welcomed to leave a message below, share your memories and celebrate the life of Ian Wood (50-53) who we … More...

Nick Edwards, OP Rep in New Zealand for many years

You are warmly welcomed to leave a message below, share your memories and celebrate the life of Nick Edwards (55 - 58) w… More...

Michael Wellby

You are warmly invited to leave a message below, share your memories and celebrate the life of Michael Wellby (53 - 57) … More...

Most read

Classic Car Show

Exhibitor Booking is now open! More...

OP's on Parade

Calling all OP's - join us for a very special Event! More...

The Naval Review

In the latest issue of the prestigious Naval Review, three OPs who fought in the Falklands conflict in 1982 have launched a critical assault on a new… More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech