Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Pangbournian Stories > Lord Archer credits OP in his recent action packed novel

Lord Archer credits OP in his recent action packed novel

OP Rory Copinger-Symes CBE (1978 - 1983) has a very personal recommendation for a good read.
An action packed read
An action packed read

OP Rory Copinger-Symes CBE has experienced many unique situations during his long and distinguished military career, a fact not lost on prolific best selling author, Lord Jeffrey Archer, as Rory relates below.

"I shan't bore you how it came about but I found myself on the phone with Lord Archer who set me the task. Essentially he said I need you to write me a piece to explain how the Royal Marines would rescue Princess Diana if she were taken hostage on a super yacht.  Jeffrey said he wanted lots of detail ("all the stuff you find boring but us civilians are fascinated by") and the secnario was based in the early 1990s with Princess Diana being taken hostage ("you tell me by whom and where"), and then tell me how you would rescue her!

A simple enough task and he gave me 10 weeks to write as much as I could. So having developed a host of fictional characters (closely based on characters I had known during my career!), chosen the super yacht and Mallorca as the venue I went about building a story.  Key was all the detail Jeffrey wanted but I had to ensure it was all information that was available on the internet so as to avoid giving away any secrets.

After turning in my draft of about 70 pages Lord Archer then spent about a month digesting it before he came back and told me to cut it down to 10 pages and just focus on the rescue operation.  I duly went away and produced a shorter piece focused on how we might execute such a rescue at sea and returned it to him.  After another longer period Jeffrey then came back to me and we spent several hours with him telling me how the operations was to happen and me correcting him at any occasion if it was something we wouldn't have said or done.  In other words he was ensuring he had absorbed the details of the way in which we operate to ensure he was as authentic as possible.

Another longer period passed and then I received his initial draft which I was to go through and amend anything I felt was incorrect.  This done I then received a final editors draft so proof read.  Then about a year later through the post I receive the final hardback version duly signed by Lord Archer and soon after the book was published in late Septemebr 2022. 

So if you fancy a great read grab a copy - & no I don’t get any royalties!?"

Similar stories

Michael Winter

You are warmly welcomed to leave a message below, share your memories and celebrate the life of Michael Ernest Winter (5… More...

The Naval Review

In the latest issue of the prestigious Naval Review, three OPs who fought in the Falklands conflict in 1982 have launch… More...

Winning at Silverstone

OP Anthony Fenwick-Wilson (53 - 57) and Leo Robinson (current pupil) are separated by 7 decades, but they both share a l… More...

Most read

OP's on Parade

Calling all OP's - join us for a very special Event! More...

Classic Car Show

Exhibitor Booking is now open! More...

Two OPs of widely differing vintage appeared prominently in a recent Channel 5 documentary "The Marvellous Maggie Smith: A Celebration." More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech