Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Pangbournian Stories > A Pangbournian life in the fast lane!

A Pangbournian life in the fast lane!

OP Anthony Fenwick-Wilson (53 - 57) and Leo Robinson (current pupil) are separated by 7 decades, but they both share a love of Motor Racing. Their vehicles are different but their passion is shared.
Winning at Silverstone
Winning at Silverstone

Recently Phillip Plato, Chair of the OP Society and founding member of the OP Car and Motorcycle Club was contacted by Anthony Fenwick-Wilson (1953 - 1957) who at the age of 85 was retiring from the world of motor racing.  Anthony writes:

The will is still very willing but at nearly 85, Old-Father-Time has decreed that my motor-racing days are now over. I suppose I can’t really complain though. Over the past nine years, ‘Rosita’, my 1935 straight-eight, Railton, has proudly carried the Pangbourne flag round most of the country’s major circuits, with a moderate collection of tin pots, and not forgetting a few agricultural excursions into the tracks’ countryside.

I  also have a classic Bentley, a 1953 ‘R’ Type called Burgundy Bess. Vintage racing is a thriving sport, with some meetings attracting over 150 cars, from Edwardian aero-engined behemoths, to 1950s formula 1 Coopers. 

I had intended to celebrate my 85th with a few circuits of the wall-of-death on a 1932 ‘Indian’ motorcycle, but I would have had to go round at 40 m.p.h. to enable the centrifugal force to keep the bike from falling off the wall. The snag being that at that level of g-force, my rather over abused heart would have possibly stopped – Ah well, short of reincarnation, it looks like a more sedentary and gentle life beckons.

However, Anthony can rest assured that the mantel has been passed on to our current generation of Pangbournians, and in particular, Leo Robinson, a current Year 10 pupil at the College.  Leo has recently Joined JHR Developments team in the F4 British Championship 2024.  Leo has a multitude of national and international Karting titles to his name.  In 2023 he moved into car racing, becoming the youngest ever race winner in the Ginetta Junior.  Mid season he switched to the Danish F4 Championship, scoring 10 podiums in 10 starts and finished as the best points scorer in the second half of the season , finishing fourth in the championship.

Leo will be making his F4 British Championship debut in April and is proud to race under the flag of his maternal nation Algeria.  He is grateful for the contiuned support of the FASM (Federation Algerienne des Sport Mecaniques).

If you have an interest in all things motor sport then why not join the OP Car & Motorcyle Club,  Full details can be found on the Pangbournian Portal, just click on the page marked Clubs.

Photo gallery

To view this News Article

Similar stories

Michael Winter

You are warmly welcomed to leave a message below, share your memories and celebrate the life of Michael Ernest Winter (5… More...

The Naval Review

In the latest issue of the prestigious Naval Review, three OPs who fought in the Falklands conflict in 1982 have launch… More...

An action packed read

OP Rory Copinger-Symes CBE (1978 - 1983) has a very personal recommendation for a good read. More...

Most read

OP's on Parade

Calling all OP's - join us for a very special Event! More...

Classic Car Show

Exhibitor Booking is now open! More...

Two OPs of widely differing vintage appeared prominently in a recent Channel 5 documentary "The Marvellous Maggie Smith: A Celebration." More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech