Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > General > Falkland Islands Memorial Chapel Trustees appoint OP, Commander Mark Hamilton

Falkland Islands Memorial Chapel Trustees appoint OP, Commander Mark Hamilton

At their AGM in September 2022, the Trustees of the Falkland Islands Memorial Chapel agreed to the appointment of Commander Mark Hamilton Royal Navy to the Board of Trustees.
Commander Mark Hamilton Royal Navy
Commander Mark Hamilton Royal Navy

At their AGM in September 2022, the Trustees of the Falkland Islands Memorial Chapel agreed to the appointment of Commander Mark Hamilton Royal Navy to the Board of Trustees.

Warmly welcoming him 'on board', Chairman Major General Jeff Mason said:  "We are keen now to engage with the next generation of Trustees who will help keep us abreast of a changing world and enable the Chapel to connect with the generations to come. Commander Hamilton is an excellent start!"

On being asked why he wished to become a Chapel Trustee, Commander Hamilton said: "There are some very good reasons why I wanted to become involved with the Memorial Chapel. Firstly, I attended Pangbourne College as a cadet, between 1988 and 1993, when the concept of a memorial chapel in its grounds was first mooted. I subsequencly joined the Royal Navy in 1998, as a Marine Engineer Officer, and have twice been deployed to the Falkland Islands. An even stronger connection is that my father was the Marine Engineer Officer on board HMS COVENTRY, and thankfully he returned safely to the UK, on 11 June 1982, following her sinking. Having completed my final sea assignment, on board HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH, I am now keen to embark on new challenges where I have a strong connection. I am delighted to have been accepted as a Trustee to the Falkland Islands Memorial Chapel, a position I take up with immense pride."

Commander Hamilton has been selected for promotion to Captain and will take up his new role as the Capital Ships Strategic Class Authority Team Leader, based in Abbey Wood, Bristol on 30th January 2023. 

Most read

OP's on Parade

Calling all OP's - join us for a very special Event! More...

The Naval Review

In the latest issue of the prestigious Naval Review, three OPs who fought in the Falklands conflict in 1982 have launched a critical assault on a new… More...

Classic Car Show

Exhibitor Booking is now open! More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech